Monday, March 17, 2014

Day 59 - 11:30 pm

Dear Reader, 

The good news is that I'm ready to go to sleep.  The bad news is that I got very little done today.  I did figure out a dinner menu and went to the grocery store for many much-needed groceries.  Then I went to two art shows with my husband and daughter on campus.  Then I made dinner and, for the most part, got the kitchen cleaned up.  My housekeeper comes back tomorrow, thank goodness!!
I made a really good Jamaican meal this evening.  I made a jerk seasoning mix since I couldn't find one at the store and marinated prawns in it before grilling them.  I added these to a large salad that included oranges, avocados, red bell pepper and green onions.  Served it with balsamic vinegar and some Glutino sesame and sea salt crackers.  I also made a Jamaican fruit desert that was. Dry nce and simple. It was sliced strawberries and kiwi fruit in a sauce made from rum and sugar.  It was delicious!  I wanted to make fried plantains and Jamaican bammies, but they were out of plantains and yucca root.  Hey, did you know that tapioca is dried and ground up yucca root??  Bet you didn't!  Maybe tomorrow.  

The kitchen was so bad after no housekeeper for five days, two of which were while we were gone. Our daughter didn't trash the house exactly, but it was very dirty and seemed like every dish was dirty!  

I got to bed quickly and have been laying here trying to figure put a bunch of things about WW1.  Like, is Hungary responsible?  Where is Hungary?  The assassination took place in Serbia.  Of course, Serbia seems to be in the  news all the time.  Serbia and Bosnia and Kosovo, and I have not had a clue about those countries.  And now, after about an hour of studying, I STILL don't have much of a clue!  There are so many things that I need to know first that I don't understand.  Like, who are the Slavs?  How did these nations get created?  Why did Hungary hate Serbia so much? I mean, assassinating Ferdinand was an act of terrorism, so why did they basically force Serbia into a war with them?  Why make a terrorist act a national matter? What was the source of that hostility?  I did finally figure out what the Balkans are!  Anyway .. it's a lot to take in and, it is just conceivable that trying at this time of night is not the best idea!

I have my to-do list for tomorrow prepared and it is, of craw, utterly impossible, even if I had little wings on my feet!  At this point I don't know when I'll get back to my study!  All the unpacking and dealing with the mess of the house is going to take a few days.

I head something freaky on the WW1 lectures I've been listening to.  Hitler was wounded and in a hospital when he got news that Germany was surrendering.  He says he had a complete breakdown and during this breakdown he had visions telling him that he was going to become this major player in the world.  He was in the hospital because he had been exposed to gas.  After this exposure, his voice changed and he suddenly had the voice he is known for that could whip up the masses.  Fr-eak-y! 

That's it for the day.  I did not exercise because I was rushing so from oversleeping to get the major things done ... like getting some FOOD in the house.  I ate quite decently.  I didn't get a the done towards getting ready ready to move.  So, not a great day, but hopefully tomorrow will be better.  

Cheers! 

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment