Saturday, April 5, 2014

Day 40 - Why I Don't Proof My Posts

Dear Reader,  

Everytime I look over a post later, I see all the glaring errors on it.  Spell check can be wonderful, but it can also put in crazy words instead.  And, for some reason, I keep hitting the comma instead of the space bar.  So, why don't I correct these errors before posting, you might ask.  Good question, and here's the answer: because I'm a writer.  When I write anything, I polish and polish and polish it until it's lyrical and reads almost like poetry.  Until every word, every punctuation, every space contributes to the imagery or thought I am trying to create.  So, if I started proofing at all, I would start polishing.  And once I do that, my OCD would click in and this blog would be over.

That's one reason.  The other reason is that I can't figure out how to do it!!  There's a place where you can push to "edit" and then "revert to draft".  But the writing won't scroll when I do that!  All I can change is whatever portion happens to be on the screen.  I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but haven't figured out what yet.  

When I have something just really glaring, I sometimes copy and paste the entire post into a note where I can edit it.  Then I copy and delete the post from the blog, and copy and paste the corrected version from my notes into it.  But that takes a lot of time and I'm usually writing late at night, so I usually just say, "Nah!  They can figure it out!"  

I have to tell you one thing before I leave with my daughter to go shopping.  I told my husband I need to give him a name so I can quit writing "my husband" all the time.  I suggested a couple of names, but he didn't like them.  So we decided that I could call him (and I need spell check to come through for me now because I don't know how to spell this name!) ... Alejandro!  You know, like from the ridiculous Lady GaGa song.  So when I refer to him in the future, read it like Lady GaGa says it, "Ale-JAN-dro"!

I suspect I'm going to get nothing done today.  Oh, one last thing.  I got caught up in my story about the lady on the telephone and forgot to get back to why I can't get in cardiac rehab.  I don't have a cardiac diagnosis.  And by diagnosis, they mean the big stuff, like heart attack!  Since my diagnosis is an autonomic nervous system dysfunction that creates cardiac symptoms, that won't work.  So, back to square one on that.  When we move I'll be able to go walking, but I don't want to do that here.  I've been walking the fairly small campus for seven years and it's surrounded by heavily trafficked streets and ... well, we had an armed robbery on campus last night!  I am eager to move.  Crimes all around us and they are starting to move onto campus. Our crime rate as measured by the FBI is WAY over the national average and New York, including Manhattan, is WAY below the national average.  A month and ten days!

Cheers!

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment