Sunday, April 5, 2015

Day 79 - Christ is Risen!!

Dear Friend, 

We had a lovely Easter morning today.  The day was beautiful, bright and sunny.  We did visit the church across the Hudson River Nd really enjoyed it.  It is what you would call "low church", if you know what that means.  "High Church" are very ceremonial: Episcopalian, Presbyterian, etc.  Low church is more casual, less formal.  Since my husband grew up "country Baptist", I didn't think he'd mind.  It was very ethnically and financially mixed which we want.  Our daughter came and liked it.  The people seemed very happy and welcoming.  One thing that I really liked was they had a young man speak casually about having received a gift on gofundme from the church after his house burned down.  He's not a member of the church and not even sure he's a Christian, but he wanted to tell everyone how much that meant to him.  Communion was done a little differently.  You go forward to receive it, but instead of receiving it individually, you gather as a family to receive the bread and the wine with the person saying the traditional, "the Body of Christ spent for you," and "the blood of Christ spilled for you."  Those words transport me.  They are so deep and rich and I am lost I the mystery of Christ's death when I hear them.  

I played a little with a poem about the resurrection and how we skitter around in the surface of this truth which is the bulwark of our existence, without even realizing how intrinsic it is to our lives.  The church had an art show before the service set out on the lawn and inside the foyer.  Our daughter who is a bit of a snob about art, actually liked several of the pieces.  When I asked her how she liked the church she said she really liked it,  I said it seemed like a good place to find a community and seemed like a church that was ... I stumbled for a word and she filled in for me, emphatically, A CHURHC!

So ... well see where this goes.  This church is the biggest one we've visited.  Probably 250-300 there this morning.  

After that we had a DELICIOUS Easter brunch at one of our favorite restaurants in the river.  I had their such/pork confit with horseradish mustard in toasted baguettes, pickled onions, and sliced carbachon pickles.  It came with a side salad with a light vinaigrette and, oh my!  Was it good!  Then I had the French toast!  And a gluten-free, dairy-free lemon cake.  Just delicious!  

We came home and then I went to walgreens to pick u some prescriptions and dog food.  Found myself intrigued by their press-on-nails with French tips.  Looked altogether different and bette than what I've seen before,  I decided to give them a try.  

My husband and I had a very loving and affectionate day today which was so nice.  I'm hoping this doctor will take me off the beta blockers so I can get a sex drive back!!!  TMI, I'm sure!  

I gave in and called my mother.  She just talked and talked almost non-stop.  I didn't mind too much because I had my iPad and was looking at ideas about what to do with my pergola. It's always very awkward on the phone when she's in this slightly manic mood.  I had a break through after the phone call.  I hope this isn't a repeat of a breakdown and that I'm just cycling back through to it!  But I realized that I don't have to feel guilty for not liking my mother!  I think I fulfill the Scriptural duty of honoring her ... except on this blog, of course or in my prayer journal or to my husband or son or daughter ...!  But, come on.  There's no one in this world that this woman wouldn't irritate and annoy, at the very least, almost all of the time! I was telling her that my husband and I had been finding some of the classic Christian music from the '70's.  It started with me looking for the Second Chapter of Acts singing "Hear the Bells Ringing". If you have never heard it, find it on youtube.  It is THE BEST sing about the resurrection ever!!  So, my moms comment was, "Well, you'd have to go back to the '40's if yu wanted to find any good music.  I don't know when it all became just screaming."   Another one of her knee-jerk reactions.  Say, "music" and she'll say, "it's nothing but screaming anymore."  Makes no difference how many times you play her beautiful, lyrical contemporary music.  Next time it comes up she will say that it is nothing but screaming anymore.  So... Anyway, I realized it's okay that I don't like her.  I don't have to feel guilty about that.  I just have to continue treating her right.  So, whew!  Because, for the most part, I REALLY don't like her.  

We've got to find our way to the Christian music venues in NYC.  We used to go into Houston pretty frequently for Christian concerts back ages ago.  

I've been pretty anxious most of the evening because of everyone hw is coming into town for the installation next week.  Oh. My. Gosh!  It's going to be a nightmare!  My in-laws and my mother under the same roof!

Well, busy day tomorrow.  I feel so unequal to all the tasks before me.  So uncertain in my strength and abilities, doubting myself every step I take.  I fully believe that someday I will actually grow up. Who knows.  It could happen!

Have a great week!
Cheers!
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment